Saturday, February 19, 2011

Social Media

 From the What is Social Media article, Think of regular media as a one-way street where you can read a newspaper or listen to a report on television, but you have very limited ability to give your thoughts on the matter.  Social media on the other hand is a two-way street that gives you the ability to communicate.  I joined the group Clif’s Notes On EdTech in diigo.  I joined this group because it has resources on education, technology, and quite a bit more.  Its tools, tips, and resources to help you be the most organized teacher you can be using the internet.  From assessment, to instruction, and special education, this site has a lot of great resources for helping you get your classroom organized and keep it that way throughout the year.  
There are so many reasons why the young and old find networking to be so appealing.  On sites that I’ve seen and personally been on there are opportunities to meet new people, find old friends that you lost content with, find jobs, keep updated with news and sports and information about today’s hot topics.  Networking websites can be used positively in many ways in a classroom.  Students can collaborate on projects with students in different school, cities, states, and countries.  This allows for so much in a classroom, open ended possibilities with projects in any subject.  With any form of networking there are always negative ways that this technology can be used if it is not monitored properly or frequently.  Cyber bullying is something that is common and I think what we read about or hear about most with these sites.  I think that the positive hugely outweighs the negative.  Strict guidelines just need to be established with students and parents prior to using this in the classroom. 
 Personally I actually tend to spend quite a bit of time networking on facebook, keeping up with family and friends I don’t get to see or talk to often.  Professionally I would tend to spend time networking on websites that have any kind of resources or tools that I could utilize in my classroom with the equipment that I have available to use.  I keep in touch with teachers that I have worked with and always bounce ideas off of them or find out what they are doing in different subjects for ideas.  This benefits me every time I share ideas with fellow teachers, I love to see what they’re doing, how I can improve something, or new ideas I can try.  This helps me keep lessons fresh and interesting for my students.  Plus there are always new ideas on websites about lessons and subjects to help me with my planning.  I don’t know that I see any drawbacks to this.  Planning with other professionals can only help and provide more creativity.  As said in the Social Media video, social media isn’t a fad, it’s a fundamental shift in the way we communicate.  We no longer search for news, the news finds us.  In the near future we will no longer search for products and services, they will find us via social media.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Celeste,
    Thanks for reminding me the cyber bullying. Some people take the advantage of the online places to bully others. Some disasters were caused through the use of online places. However, I should clarify that online places can be positively and negatively used by people. It depends on how people use them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celeste and Jinxin!

    You are absolutely correct about cyberbullying! It is a downside to this wonderful gift called Social Media! However, I must also agree with you that the positive aspects of Social Media do outweight the negative!
    Celeste, our posts do look similar! LOL! At any rate, I have been thinking about the future a lot lately and I am constantly wondering how school systems will look after Social Media has been used in the school systems for awhile? Will students' test scores be higher? Will the graduation rates increase? Will our students have more of a competitive edge globally, nationally, locally? How will Social Media affect us as educators? Will we be able to outperform educators of yesteryear?
    I am an eternal optimist and I believe that the answer to all of these questions will be yes. It will be interesting to witness!

    ReplyDelete