I've done so much reading this week, but it seems that it all makes sense after reading about what blogging and twittering are. I've learned that blogging is far faster than reading about regular news or information that may take up to a day to read about. Blogging is designed or targeted to a specific audience based on interests. It allows people to share news or information with anyone that is interested in reading. Blogs are easy to follow and they are in order of posts. I think the best part about blogs is that they are a two way street of communication, blogs are written and then comments can be made. This allows direct communication between the writer and the reader. Twittering is an interesting type of communication because it helps us feel connected to the world. I've learned that it starts with a simple question: What's happening? This question allows us to share bite size updates every day and share short posts with friends, family, and co-workers. It allows us to learn new information about the people that we are following or keep updated on the networks we choose to follow. I like that the updates are short and easy to read.
Blogging
Most everyone these days have a way to communicate online. With today's technology it is easy to see why blogging has become so popular and helpful. Blogging is a valuable and relevant piece of technology in classrooms. In 2009 Horizon Report it stated that developments are creating more ways for users to work anytime and anywhere and these tools are finding their way into homes and classrooms. Blogging allows teachers and students to connect in the classroom because of the wide spread of news and information that can be shared. The open communication of blogging allows students to move past the classroom and connect with peers around the world. This gives them the opportunity to access an endless stream of possibilities.
Twittering
I think if twittering is done the right way it can be a very valuable and relevant tool. According to The New York Times twittering is a brilliant channel for breaking news, asking questions, and attaining one step of separation from public figures you admire. No other communications channel can match its capacity for real-time, person-to-person broadcasting. Twittering is a form of instant messaging to me. Everyone does some form of instant messaging, online or texting. If supervised and done appropriately, twittering can be a useful tool in the classroom instead of a distraction. There are so many networks that could be used on Twitter in the classroom. These networks would allow students and teachers to keep updated on news, events, and stay connected with people around the world. It would allow students to see the world through new eyes.
Twitter network
I plan on following the NCAA softball network. I coach softball and I love the game. I would love to read what anyone has to say about the sport. Softball season is going to start very soon and it would be nice to keep updated with events and scores around the nation.
Good post Celeste...glad you have found these new forms of communication to be useful educationally.
ReplyDeleteI like you point that blogging allows teachers and students to connect in the classroom because of the wide spread of news and information that can be shared. It is valuable for teachers and students to share news, information and establish actively communicative relationships! Good point, Celeste!
ReplyDeleteJinxin
Hi Celeste, I love you idea that blogging allows students to connect with peers around the world. It gives students the chances to share, enjoy and challenge various cultures, technologies and latest scientific and economic information.
ReplyDelete